Friday, September 16, 2011

How not to wash a window... viewer disgression advised!

August 6th started out as such a lazy day.  We slept in and lounged around the house until I couldn't stand it any more and decided to be productive and finally get to washing my windows which has been on my list for a long time.  So Scott and I went to the front yard and got to work.  Unfortunately, our window had a small hole from a hail storm, our most recent storm spread the crack further.
   Without thinking about it I pulled out a rag and windex when my squeegee was streaking the windows.  I remember hearing the crack and knowing I got hurt,

I reacted and pulled my hand away and I felt something on my palm and thought I had a large chunk of glass protruding.  My reaction was to flick the glass out.  I noticed it wasn't flicking and so I stopped freaking out and looked down expecting to have to pull this large chunk of glass out of my palm when I realized it had been my palm flapping around!
I sent Scott to get daddy.  I used my window washing rag to wrap around my hand.  I heard Riley tell Scott to be quiet the girls were a sleep.  Scott said Mommy broke the window and I started yelling, Riley came to the door and I said I need to go to the hospital.  He woke up the girls and threw all the kids into the car and sped like mad to the hospital.  I felt sick.  It was such a busy ER that it took a long time to get into a room and so no one but me really knew the extent of the injury until they peeled back the bandage to get a better look...
After much screaming and tears I was numbed, stitched, and cleaned up.  I painted my finger nails to help the appearance of my Frankenstein-ish hand with 18 stitches.
 
 This is a month later...  It looks so much better but is still quite tender around the injury.  I don't have feeling back in that chunk of my hand yet.


PLEASE BE ADVISED BELOW ARE GRUESOME PICTURES!!!










This picture is after I was finally numb.  I would have been hurting with my palm sliding off before the wonderful drugs!

This one is how they propped my hand for the x-ray to make sure no glass shards were still there.
They got me all cleaned up and ready for stitches.  I was glad I was numb because I was able to disconnect from it being my hand at this point.  Riley was just fine as you can see he took all the disgusting pictures.

Notice the muscle on both sides of the cut.  It was sore to move for a while.  I got pretty good being left handed for a month.

5 comments:

Jebb and Brandie Huskinson said...

wow shelley that is sick! i think that you and i should stay away from glass for a while because on april fools day i got cut by a glass in the sink although mine is not as bad as yours! i hope it feels better soon

Kelli said...

So sorry to hear (and see!) about your hand! But glad to see you healing up so fast. From the pictures, it looks like it's starting to look much better.

Becky said...

Gross!!! The last picture really show how deep the cut was. It looks better now.

venae said...

Cool Pictures! Gross! I'm glad your doing better now. Thank you for all your help with the reception and the quilt! You are amazing! By the way... do you have a pattern for the crocheted Rexburg Temple project that you gave to Cydnee? Her new grandma Thompson wants to do one. Love you :)

Marrott Family said...

How is your hand? We are waiting for an update! Hope you and the family are well!