Friday, January 8, 2010

I'm a slacker!!!

OK Here it goes.... Last two months in a nut shell! I hate catching up but I can't just skip thanksgiving and Christmas!Our first Thanksgiving. It was MY first thanksgiving to do it ALL.... Well Riley tried to help.... I asked him to peel potatoes and he went the extra mile by cutting them up and putting them on the stove... except that he turned on the wrong burner which usually doesn't make a big deal unless something is on the wrong burner... like my pumpkin pie I had made the day before... OK so it got a little burnt, but then he picked it up and then set it down on the oven (forgot to mention my pie plates are glass) Anyway glass flew everywhere! Shards all over the almost completed dinner! After a moment of blinking back tears and jumping to clean it ended up being a pretty good thanksgiving. (I think he did it on purpose so he wouldn't have to help in the kitchen ever again - which I seriously considered!)
The day after thanksgiving we set up our tree because we'd only have a little bit of time to enjoy it before we left and celebrating Christmas on the 12 made very little time for enjoying it here.
Last year Riley found this train at the DI so this year we got it up and going and Scott LOVES it!
He had to share his head phones with his buddy!
His other buddy!
This is from our ward Christmas party which happened to be our "Christmas Eve" It was quite a day I spent it cooking for the ward and decorating and contemplating inactivity to get released from the calling :) It's a little overwhelming to think we are in charge of an activity for 100 people every month!
Scott loved his "Christmas Eve" party and has caught onto the concept of Santa. We've watched the Polar express so many times it's hard not to catch the idea!
New Christmas Eve Jammies.
Getting ready for bed so Santa can come!
We even set out cookies which Scott later claimed to hear Santa take a bite from.
Christmas morning with a rice puff breakfast.
Scott was really into Christmas this year!
A couple of days later our plane ride to Rexburg. Scott loved it and both kids traveled really well all day long!
This is the reason I didn't blog for the last 2 months. I made two sets of this Noah's Ark! When I say I spent every waking moment crocheting I wasn't lying! I made up two arks then crocheted 6 members of every species of animal you see here! Then I crocheted a red Christmas dress for Sophie, two doll purse/bassinets for the neices, I altered a pair of suit pants for Riley given to him by his grandpa - which turned out better than I had planned! I also crocheted the rest of my mom and dad's present - the nativity! It was a busy busy project time!
When we got to Rexburg we visited Santa at the Rex.
Scott had SOOO much fun with his cousins!
Our trip home was a long day of travel.
Yesterday I decided to bake up a storm and made my first attempt at the traditional Norwegian dessert - blote cake. Need I say YUM! I did a box white cake and cut into 3 layers. Then used a spoon to soak it up with milk and then layeyed jam and whip cream on each layer. Frost it in the remaing whip cream and straberries and shaved authentic Norwegian chocolate on top. It's not as pretty as my Aunt Susans but it sure tasted good! Scott is used to cake only being for birthdays and asked me about this so I decided before I finished it that it would be a great way for us to celebrate a birthday in the family because my sister Heather had just given birth that morning after 3 yes THREE hours of labor with her first baby!!!! YEA!Congrats on the new baby!!! Welcome to the world Dayton! I'm so glad that Blaine got there in time. Although 7 minutes to spare is cutting it awfully close!!!!

2 comments:

MaggieJo said...

You are crazy shelly! I miss you!

Connie said...

Wow, when did you have time to sleep. I love my nativity and am so glad that it made it safe and sound to my house. I enjoyed all the kids soooo much and think this is the best Christmas ever. Now, if only the snow will melt and I can take Kimball, Scott, and Hazel to the "dirt pile" with trucks, "bozers", "woaders" and of course the "forwiff". Sophie might like it too. I'll give Dayton and Carson a lilttle while before I break them into the wonderful world of dirt.