Saturday, September 26, 2009

So many tears...

I am really having a tough time with this breaking the binki habit. First Scott screamed and cried and kicked the wall and got out of bed over and over. That much I can deal with. Just keep putting him back in bed is what Super Nanny would do.

But it's the other little saddnesses of a little boy are simply pull at my heart strings. First his little blankets are getting soaked, yes in tears and also because he keeps shoving them into his mouth while he cries. That really got to me and even Riley when he saw his poor little mouth completely chapped and raw from it all. Then when I went into his room once he tried to make a trade by handing me his beloved blanket in exchange for his other comfort measure of a binki.

Then last night, I lost it, when I peeked into his room once he was finally asleep and saw his puffy eyes and raw lips and his little fist clenched around the little binki keeper ribbon - with no binki attached of course. But it pulled at the mommy inside me who wants everything to be OK, and I burst into tears as I saw him clinging to the last he has of his best friend!

I keep resolving to be consistent but I've almost caved over and over as he keeps waking up with red puffy little eyes and telling me "I not a big boy!" Which was my first argument to tell him he didn't need a binki any more.

By the way this is also coupled with a little 5 month old who thinks that she needs to nurse every 4 hours again at night! She was sleeping 10 hours! So the Super Nanny voice in my head says no way does she need to nurse let her cry for 15 minutes at a time and then stick the binki back in and soothe her- ironic isn't - prying a binki from one kid and stuffing it down another! Needless to say everyone is edgy and sleep deprived!

Any mom's out there have any advise? I'm at wits end...

3 comments:

MaggieJo said...

it is probably too late for this advice, but we were told to have him throw the pacifier away and that way it wasn't our fault. so when he asked for it we reminded him he threw it away. there were still tears, but only for 3 or 4 days. maybe next time. sorry you have to watch your baby cry, it is the worst!

Anonymous said...

I know your pain I have delt with this A THOUSAND TIMES at my work, and I believe I might be an expert at it. 2 Things that will make life easier: 1) DO NOT I repeate DO NOT give it back after you have taken it away! Most people think that children are not this intelegent but believe me they are but they pick up on the fact that you gave in and it only makes them cry harder and longer for it because you gave in a gave it to they so it must mean you will do it again. 2)With Sophie take it away when she turnes a year, children have no need for a pacifier after the age of one and the longer you wait to take it away the harder it is to get it away. Developmentaly you are only hurting a child if you let them keep a bottle or pacifier after the age of 1. At my work we do not allow bottles or pacifiers after the age of one not even for naps and it is amazing how fast the kids adjust to it and don't mind not having it. I hope this helps!

venae said...

I agree with Marci. I don't know if you know it but i never allowed Scott to use his binki when he came over to stay or on the rare occasion that i came to your home. He sometimes would fuss but for the most part he was fine. I sure love you guys and miss you terribly. If a child can talk they should not be allowed to have a binki.Be tough hang in there. Grandma Hoky